Tuesday 10 June 2014

Broll Box Done

Hi all,
Pass the biscuits around because I've finally finished my latest box. You may have noticed from the title of this post that I have called it a broll box. I've done that because I'm fed up with referring to it as a band saw box when I actually made it using a a scroll saw. I suppose I could call it a scroll saw box, but where is the fun in that.

I mentioned before that this type of box is usually made on a band saw by sticking all the pieces of wood together first then sawing them. However, because I haven't got a band saw, and the depth of cut is very small on a scroll saw, the procedure needs to be reversed.

So, to make a band saw type box on a scroll saw, you need to cut out all the pieces first and then stick them together. I thought the effort would be about the same but it didn't work out that way. Making a band saw type box on a scroll is much more time consuming. The cutting doesn't take too long, but the sanding does.

Anyway, here is a picture of the finished article.
You may notice that there is a small gap under each drawer. This was deliberate; it is where I drilled the entry point for the scroll saw blade. During the sanding process I smoothed out the hole and made it look like part of the design.

If you are wondering why you can see lines going around the box, unintentionally highlighting the laminated nature of its structure, it is because of the wood I used. I made the box from a support rail from my mother -in-law's bed, (there will be hell up if she finds out) and the pine had gone that orange colour that pine goes. I mistakenly thought it wouldn't show because I was sticking the pieces together but it just goes to prove how wrong one can be.

Here is a another picture with the drawers pulled out. They have dark insides because I used navy blue flocking on them. I'm pleased with the flocking because it is much simpler than using sticky backed felt and it looks better.
Overall, I'm very pleased with the end result but if I do another I will make a couple of modifications to make the box quicker to make. This will entail making a couple of changes to the design which will  make the sanding process quicker.

Firstly, I would change the contours around the drawers. The ones on this design are too tight to accommodate the narrowest drum on my bobbin sander. And secondly, I would remove two pieces which would reduce the depth of the box. This would mean that my bobbin sander would be able to do all the sanding from one end of the box.

I have just finished working on the design for a new box which will be more traditional in style, but adorned with a pyrography finish. I hope to show you that soon. Talking of pyrography I have just started work on a new trinket pot and it is going well. I will show you that in my next post.



No comments:

Post a Comment