Thursday 21 January 2016

Change of Plan

Hi all,
Isn't it funny how the weather changes just at the wrong time and upsets one's plans. My wife gave me a commission to make her a box and I even went out and purchased a new table saw to help me  complete the task. I was really looking forward to getting out of the house and into the workshop for a bit of peace and quiet, but then the weather decided to turn Polar on me.

Perhaps it's because I'm getting old, but I can't stand the cold weather any more. I often think back to years gone by when I went fishing in the winter. It was sometimes so cold that we had to break holes in the ice to wet a line but it was all part of the fun. Now, I'm too nesh to take rubbish out to the wheelie bin without my thick cardy on.

Even the fact that I am part Finish doesn't seem to help any more, and all inclinations to beat myself with birch sticks and jump into the nearest frozen lake, have diminish along with finding something half decent to watch on the telly.

Still, I shouldn't moan, at least the cold weather has forced me to stay in the warm and practice my drawing skills. I've taken to pen and ink drawing and here's one of my first efforts. I did it from a photo that I took of Lake Conniston about fifteen years ago.
I'm quite pleased with it and looking forward to doing another. By the way,  if you are interested in art, you can see how I'm getting on with my personal watercolour challenge by clicking here.

Back to the box. I had a bit of trouble with the lid because I can't source a piece of walnut that is big enough. The sad thing is, I'm only half an inch short. The box need to be 4.5 inches wide, but the only  wood I can find that is the right thickness (6mm) is only 4 inches wide. So again my plans have been altered. I was going to do a walnut lid with 3 butterflies made from Baltic birch plywood inlaid into it, but now that is out of the question. Instead I'm going to use the Baltic birch plywood, that comes in big panels, to make the lid which will have a combination of scroll work and pyrography.

Here is the rough sketch that I have made of the lid.
The dark buts will be cut out with the scroll saw and the rest of the wood will be decorated with my pyrography iron. My wife wanted the box to be dark and because the sides are made from walnut, that isn't a problem. She isn't banking on a light lid though, so I plan to make it as dark as possible with my pyrography iron.

Now all I need is a bit of warm weather so that I can get out into my workshop and get on with it.

Just a reminder before I go. My book, "The Reluctant Pom," which follows the 2 enforced years that I spent in a land down under is free today and tomorrow on Amazon.

If you would like a good laugh, pleased download a copy. Just click on the book tab at the top of the page and it will take you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment